Happy April Fools to all our readers and search engine marketing fans.
As you are aware, every year Google comes out with some of the most impressive pranks ever and this year is no different. At midnight, Google launched a flipped-out search page that has everything backwards. Simply type in com.google and see what happens.
This was not the only prank that Google played today on April Fools:
- Google Fibre announced that it will roll out a dial-up mode version of its program to give parents more time to load the dishwashers or spend time with the kids. It is supposed to remind us of the olden days before Broadbent was invented.
- Google Panda will now come in the form of a stuffed animal that is equipped with “state of the art” emotional and conversational intelligences so all you have to do is speak your mind” to perform a search. To learn more about the announcement, watch this video event with VP of Engineering, Chris Yerga:
- Google Chromebook – It was also announced that Google will be coming out with a self-browsing Chromebook extension. No input is needed to surf the web. You can use the self-browsing Chromebook to stay connected with relatives as it automatically writes emails to the recipient(s). It also helps you maintain relationships by sending gifts on the appropriate days.
- Google Maps – A number of locations on Google Maps have been designated as game play fields for the historic Pac-Man videogame. To play the game, all you have to do is go to Google Maps and find a location near you with the best ratio of streets. From there, click the Pac-Man button in the bottom-left corner and Google will instantly transform those streets into a playable version of Pac-Man.
- #ChromeSelfie– This is a feature in Google’s mobile browser. It will allow users to share website links with an attached self-portrait photo. It is meant to prevent Chrome users from losing up to 6 hours a day taking selfies.
An all-time favorite prank played by the search engine giant was the 2013 YouTube experiment.
Back in 2013, Google claimed the world’s biggest video site and second largest social networking platform was going offline after an 8 year long contest. They also claimed that it will take them 10 years to go through all the uploaded videos and declare one winner, which will be the only video to remain on the site when YouTube relaunches in 2023.
iRISEmedia.com is a Toronto digital media agency and SEO company, specializing in social media marketing and internet marketing. Our team helps clients increase their reach and profitability by developing and implementing online branding and social media marketing strategies. We service clients in Toronto, Ontario, the GTA and throughout Canada as well as globally.