Our research shows that it costs five, and in some cases, seven times more to keep an existing customer than it does to acquire a new one. The price between acquisition and retention will change very little depending on the study you read. However, it is crucial that you accommodate your current customers with the best customer service experience. It has been established that 82% of U.S. consumers stop doing business due to poor customer service.
A lot of people perceive social media as just a way to advertise their business and it often falls into the “marketing” bucket, but it is also an excellent way to provide customer service. For companies to avoid a situation where their customers walk away from them due to poor customer service, they must step up their online marketing strategy.
A survey done by Loyalty 360 found that 25% of businesses ranked social media as the single most effective channel for customer service. One of the reasons for this is social media provides a direct contact between customer and business, apart from it being a great way to attract new customers. Unfortunately not all businesses have latched on to this method of marketing.
To the 75% that did not agree with social media being the most effective channel for customer service, here are 6 reasons why you should reconsider:
- Be fast– More and more customers are using social media for reputation management, which may have to do with a growing need for immediate results. Social Media moves quickly and doesn’t take breaks. As a business owner, it is your job to keep up with the activity and trends on social media channels, and make good use of customer demands.
- Share Success Stories on Social Media- Businesses should toot their own horn. If there is a happy customer, share their story on social media; let potential customers know that your product is great, and customers are happy with the results.
- Market your product on social media- Promotional emails, ads, radio announcements are all excellent ways to keep your customers up to date with upcoming promotions. But what will you do if you want to quickly remind your customers of today’s promotions and sales? Or you may want to quickly promote a special sale or event. This is where social media comes in handy. The platform was born for last minute marketing. “Followers” on social media indicate a willingness to be kept informed on the latest happenings within the company. Online advertising through social media is a great way to keep your customers up to date, and for gaining potential future customers.
- Be mindful of your tone- Customers are very sensitive to the tone being addressed to them. Andrew McCaulley (co-founder of the digital-media agency AutoPilot Your Business) said “an automatic, scripted or canned response are [sic] unacceptable in terms of customer care. Today’s savvy customer wants and expects a personal response.” He adds that any of your team members who respond to social media should be trained to adapt their tone to the type of message they receive, and for the type of customer they are dealing with.
- Always respond to concerns- Customers appreciate being acknowledged by brands. It is important to recognize their concerns and let them know that you care. This interaction also lets other customers know you are willing to fix problems.
iRISEmedia.com is a digital media agency and SEO company, specializing in Social Media and internet marketing. Our team helps clients increase their reach and profitability by developing and implementing customized and targeted online and social media marketing strategies. We service clients in Toronto, Ontario, the GTA and throughout Canada as well as globally.