Pinterest is one of the hottest social neworking sites today. Some people are looking to create their own niche Pinterest sites as there’s marketing value to keeping everything under one theme.
It makes perfect marketing sense: If you attract a large user base you can market “likeable” material.
Here are some Pinterest clone script reviews that might lead you into the right direction in terms of what to purchase.
Joomla! Social Pinboard by Apptha (Contus)
Contus, now Apptha, has come out with another clone built on an existing platform – Joomla! Being a big fan of scripts built on an existing platform, this has caught my eye.
Overall, the script looks solid with a ton of new features.
- Solid, robust back-end.
- Fluid interface.
- iPhone and Android Apps at an additional price.
- Session times are too short
- No Admin demo in back-end
- Contus is known to use spaghetti-code methodology that nonetheless “works.”
Drupal PinBoard Theme by ThemeSnap
Drupal’s PinBoard theme is similar to the Joomla script in several ways, focusing on social network and location filters.
- I am personally a big fan of scripts built on already-established platforms, and Drupal is certainly one of the best platforms to build on.
- It is also easily available in it’s own mobile app!
- The Drupal script makes Pinterest a little more personal.
- “Look” is solid and secure.
- In the demo, an email verification gets sent to activate a user account.
- The theme is only in Beta mode
- Theme is only compatible with certain browsers (IE 7+, Chrome, Opera and Firefox)
- Theme only works with certain versions of Drupal (right now, it’s compatible with Drupal 7 only).
- No admin username/password access in Demo.
Pinterestclones Pinboarding Pro
The graphical interface though looks oddly similar to that of Alstrasoft.com. I don’t know for sure if they’re different scripts or if one white-labels the other.
The demo contains most features, allowing you to perform o a complete test before purchasing. Completely customize your own Pinterest clone script in the simplest way possible.
- I like the cleanliness of the back-end.
- Manage Pages has meta fields for SEO.
The following, though, are show-stoppers:
- The “Create Username” page on the demo is non-existent.
- Too few fields for each section.
- Also, the graphical interface looks oddly similar to that of alstrasoft.com, or vice versa.
- You cannot manage/edit Pin boards.
- No Facebook/Twitter integration with Admin back-end, though it exists for end user.
- No indication of whether or not an iPhone or Android app is in store in the future. ***UPDATE*** It may be in development, but an Alstrasoft representative just mentioned that it’s not a priority. I believe it is as more people today are using their smart-phones for internet access than the traditional desktops and laptops.
Alstrasoft Pinterest Clone Script
Alstrasoft comes with it’s unfortunately long history of nice-looking scripts with horrific back-ends.
It has recently been brought to my attention that Alstrasoft has been stealing older versions of scripts and offering substandard support. While I don’t know how true this is, I did notice that Alstrasoft and PinterestClones have a similar script, though they have allegedly been caught stealing other pieces of software such as “AdQuick” which is owned by someone else. Therefore it stands to reason that they’re stealing other pieces of software. Not cool! I don’t trust either the company or their product.
Pros/Cons: Similar to Pinboarding Pro, though PinBoarding Pro has more features.
Still a product with room for improvement, the Pinderful clone script is still able to meet all of your basic startup needs. This script is specifically useful for those who are new to Pinterest and haven’t got a clue on what’s so important. With a long list of ‘Upcoming features’ it might be useful to understand the basics before moving up a level anyway.
In terms of the demo, from a back-end perspective, here are the pros and cons:
- I personally like the design and fluid sidebar.
- Facebook/Twitter/Email integration
- The site functionality leaves a lot to be desired.
- From an SEO perspective, there is a site “meta keywords” and “meta description” but not for specific pages.
- “Manage Website” doesn’t allow you to manage a website.
- “View Pin” doesn’t give the Pinned user any credit.
- “Board Management” has too few fields.
Demo: http://www.cogzidel.com/Pinterest-clone, on the right side
Uniprogy, the makers of Couponic, is a Russian-based script provider. It’s built on the same Yii framework that was used for Couponic.
- Easy installation with guide
- Front-end looks easy to use
- Being built on a framework means that there is no “spaghetti code.”
- Maybe this is because it’s on the demo server, but verification email for front-end takes a long while to send.
- Beyond-ugly back-end interface
- Complicated modular structure
- Page module is under “Setup/CMS” and has no SEO meta fields.
- Doesn’t seem to “get it.”
- Since it’s Framework-based, to make modifications and design changes a high degree of Object-Oriented programming expertise is required.
Price: $200 for the base script, $35-$100 per add-on. However, there is a package of four scripts for a $295 instead of $320.
This is a script that is not built yet but is in development. Being that there is no live demo, here is my review based on what’s written:
- Script is purportedly built on CodeIgniter framework, ensuring that there is no spaghetti code and that everything is clean.
- There are ideas for an HTML 5 version of the script
- Price point for an undeveloped script is way too high.
- Everything right now is just that – an idea.
Price: $749 just to book the script!
Script Site: http://seotoolster.com/clone-scripts/Pinterest-clone-script-social-pinboard-script/
PinPress WordPress Theme
PinPress is a theme built on WordPress, an established framework. Launched in April 18, the script shows promise.
- Complete Pinterest-like layout.
- Search Engine Optimized.
- Valid, Cross browser Compatible.
- Easy Customization.
- Impressive video presentation.
- Facebook login feature.
- Impressive price-point.
- There is no admin username/password to work with in the demo.
- No indication of mobile app versions
Price: $69 to start.
Okay, Which One Do I Choose?
When there are several different Pinterest clone scripts to choose from, it’s difficult to choose the right one. We recommend trying out a few demos to see how the different Pinterest scripts work and which one you feel most comfortable with.
The majority of the features in these clone scripts are mostly the same, with a few unique features in several. So depending if you want to focus on social media or mobile apps, you may already know where to start looking!
Caveat Emptor With Off-Shore
When purchasing off-the-shelf scripts, just remember the Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) mantra. For most of these scripts, once you purchase them there are no refunds, for the simple reason that you can in theory use the providers’ script elsewhere. Each script is an intangible good that is digitally delivered, and therefore cannot be physically sent back to the provider.
Also, remember scripts from India. Technical support is traditionally weak as their English is very different from ours.
Beat the Off-Shore Experience By Hiring iRISEmedia.com
iRISEmedia is available for hire in building Pinterest clone scripts for whatever your niche market is. Let us know and we can provide a quote.