If you are one of those Facebook users who are irritated over Facebook messenger, the new app launched two weeks ago, there is a way out.
Many Facebook users are irritated and are genuinely concerned over security issues. If you read the Android Terms of Service (which most people don’t), you’d discover that the app requests a number of apparently invasive permissions, including the power to call phone numbers and send texts without your permissions.
Here are a couple of permissions that we thought were worth mentioning:
• Change the state of network connectivity
• Call phone numbers and send SMS messages
• Record audio, and take pictures and videos, at any time
• Read your phone’s call log, including info about incoming and outgoing calls
• Read your contact data, including who you call and email and how often
• Read personal profile information stored on your device
• Access the phone features of the device, like your phone number and device ID
• Get a list of accounts known by the phone, or other apps you use.
In Facebook’s defense, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for requesting such permissions. Messenger needs access to your camera, for instance, so that you can send pictures, and few people would want to confirm microphone access every time they use the app to place a call. These permissions are quite normal.
If you’re still weary and skeptical, here’s how you can work around not downloading Facebook messenger:
• When you get a message saying that messages have moved to Messenger, go ahead and select Download Messenger.
• You will be directed to the iOS App Store or Google Play to download Facebook Messenger.
• Begin downloading the app, but stop the download before it finishes.
• Go back to the Facebook app. Once again, you’ll find all your messages displaying in the message tab.
Of course, Facebook may soon find a way to get rid of this loophole. While the workaround may not stay for long, there are other ways to avoid downloading the Messenger app. Some iPhone users have resorted to illegal mean to getting around mandate. Our Toronto social media experts do not recommend that you resort to such methods because it leaves you vulnerable to viruses and hackers.
iRISEmedia.com is an online reputation management, social media marketing, and search engine marketing (SEM) firm in Toronto, Canada. Our team helps clients increase their reach and profitability by developing and implementing customized and targeted online and social media marketing strategies. We service clients in Toronto, Ontario, the GTA and throughout Canada as well as globally.