Here’s a simple and easy to follow guide to permanently deleting your Facebook account. Remember, deleting your account is different from actually deactivating the account. You can deactivate your account at any time, and when you decide to return everything will still be there as you left it. While your account is deactivated, people on Facebook will not be able to search for you, but some information like messages you’ve sent can be seen. If you permanently delete your account, you will not be able to regain access to your account information ever again!
- Take note of all sites that you logged into using Facebook connect. That means any site that is not Facebook itself but lets you log in using the same Facebook username and password. Once you’ve identified every one of those sites, go to each of them and close the accounts manually. If you log in to any of those sites during two week cancellation period your account will be immediately reactivated and you’ll have to start all over again.
- Save everything from your account that there is a chance you will need later. Depending on your needs, this may include contact information, photos, personal profile content etc. You will lose access to all of this when you permanently deactivate your account, so now is your chance to make a backup of any important data.
- If you want to keep the information and data on your Facebook account before you delete it, you can download everything as an archive onto your computer. To do this, you’ll need to be logged in. Navigate to the arrow at the right of the blue bar at the top of your Facebook window; click ‘Settings’ and then click ‘Download a copy of your Facebook data’ at the bottom of the page.
- Visit the Facebook Account Deletion Page. When you see the page called “Delete My Account” with two buttons, click the one that says “submit”.
- Next you will be asked “You are about to permanently delete your account. Are you sure?” If you are, enter your password and the captcha on the page. When complete, click “Okay.”
- After you confirm, do not re-access your account. It will take 14 days for the account deletion to actually take place, so if you log back into your account anytime in the next two weeks you will end up just reactivating it. Once the two weeks have passed without any login, your account will be permanently deactivated.
iRISEmedia.com is a web design, social media marketing, and search engine marketing (SEM) firm in Toronto, Canada. Our team helps clients increase their reach and profitability by developing and implementing customized and targeted online and social media marketing strategies. We service clients in Toronto, Ontario, the GTA and throughout Canada as well as globally.