When doing a competitors’ audit on Facebook, the first thing any business advertiser is looking to know is if the competition is doing something different and how well they are doing it.
Given how much revenue paid ads are bringing Facebook, the social media platform has come up with a way for businesses to review all ads currently running on any given page. Previously, Facebook advertisers were only able to see what their competitors were doing by looking at the posts on their page. Now, through the Info and Ads tab, Facebook users can view all active ads that are running not just on Facebook, but Instagram, Messenger and Audience Network too. This new feature will be very useful for brands hoping to scope out and review competitor ads.
The purpose of this tool is to make ads and pages on Facebook and its affiliate programs more transparent. Facebook is hoping to give users more information about any business and the ads they are currently running, while bringing increased accountability for bad actors and to prevent abuse.
How to Use the Info and Ads Tool | Facebook Marketing | Social Media Marketing
To see what ads a business is running please follow these 3 easy steps:
- Go directly to the competitor’s Facebook page.
- Click on the “Info and Ads” tab located on the left navigation bar. On the mobile device, the “Info and Ads” tab is located at the bottom-right corner of the header images.
- Choose a region from the drop-down menu. This will allow you to see all of the ads the page is currently running in that region or globally.
- Select “View Ads” button on the right side of the page to see more active ads from that business.
Info and Ads Tool: Weighing the Pros & Cons | Social Media Marketing
- Great for start-up businesses looking to get a leg up on the competition.
- Geographical filtering capabilities – allows businesses to check whether their competitor runs ads in similar locations and other locations.
- Helps businesses get through ultra-competitive times of year (e.g., holidays) by giving them some inspiration for their own posts. It also assists them with differentiating themselves by making sure they are not running similar ads.
- Allows users to see if a page is trying to be deceptive in reaching users by continually changing its name.
- Competitors can do an audit of your ads, too.
- Competitors can flag your ads as inappropriate for no reason.
- Users are not able to view the likes, comments, and shares of specific ads.
- Users are not able to see how much publishers are spending to boost posts.
Implications of Info and Ads Tab | Facebook Marketing
This new feature has two major implications on the social media marketing world:
- You can now audit your competitors’ ads and creative;
- Your competitors can also audit all of your active ads.
Because competitors and consumers (especially!!!) can see all of your ads, it is very important for you as the advertiser to be mindful of the messaging you use across all ads and to make sure it is consistent. It is equally as important to avoid any deceptive practices (e.g., posting inappropriate pictures, being dishonest about offerings) as these practices can now easily be discovered and reported, which could get your page removed.
Need help tracking your competitors? We’ve got you covered. Contact our digital marketing company in Toronto, ON, Canada to start your social media audit today!
About iRISEmedia | Social Media Marketing Agency | Toronto
At iRISEmedia.com we are specialized in social media management, digital marketing, online reputation management and online branding. Our team helps clients manage and grow their online presence and branding to increase qualified web traffic and online leads. We service clients in Toronto and throughout Canada and the U.S. Need help tracking your competitors? We’ve got you covered. Contact us today to start your social media audit and Facebook marketing.