A little while back I came across a brilliant and hilarious comic from The Oatmeal on how to get more Likes from Facebook. This post fleshes out a few points from that comic.
Social Media Marketing: What Not to Do to Get More Likes on Facebook
- Don’t inundate your blog with too many social Facebook “like” buttons. It eventually makes the blog “too busy” and will harm more than help.
- Don’t send plain “boiler plate” messages to people to “like” your page even though you haven’t spoken with some of your friends in almost 20 years. It makes you sound desperate.
- Don’t send a message that says “if you like this page it will make me feel better.” Many people don’t care and will likely report you as spam.
Social Media Marketing: What to Actually Do to Get More Likes on Facebook
- Put more energy to make content more “like-able.” Act on Facebook the same way you would in the real world. Would you ask people to run around telling everyone how great you are? (Don’t answer.)
- Create things that are hilarious, sad, beautiful, interesting, inspiring or just plain awesome.
- For example, create a sing along video on how to properly load a dishwasher, make a photo of a politician fighting Darth Vader, write a blog post explaining why the sun and moon appear to be the same, or write an epic love story involving mice and cats with rifles!
Bottom line, less effort, more cats with rifles.